Chef Thuy Pham's “Thịt Kho Tàu” recipe
Just writing down what this video is doing for my own reference.
Preparing the meat
For 6 portions: ½ kg pork belly + ½ kg pork leg (for the extra softness and sweetness).
- Cut them into bigger chunks, they'll be nice to bite anyway!
- Marinate the meat:
- Baby onions (4x): slice them thinly
- Red chili pepper: cut two ways! Thinly slice one half, and slice the other half into big chunks.
- Garlic: crushed.
- Lime: squeeze half into the meat.
- Take the chunked chili, garlic and salt and grind them. Put everything into the meat, mix them carefully.
- Leave them in the fridge for half an hour.
For the eggs: boil for 12 minutes, then set aside.
- Coconut juice: 1 liter. Filter away the coconut: you only need the juice!
- Water: add the same amount as the juice.
Wait for everything to boil!
Putting them together
- Once the juice is boiled, add the meat in. Take out all the marinating ingredients from the boil!
- Leave everything for two hours.
- Add the eggs, a small amount (~1 teaspoon) of fish sauce and a bit of sugar for the eggs to golden up. Leave for another hour!
When braising, leave a big gap for the lid: it keeps the juice clear.
That's it, have fun :D